Tuesday, February 7

Same day last year.....

It was the most awaited day... I fell in love with this date for some reason.. February had always been the month I loved the most, for my birthday falls during this month...It had only been made further more special with two of its dates marked as milestones in my life last year. I have 3 important days of this month associated closely to me and one of which falls today!

Its our engagement day today! I think we will be the only couple who had been in courtship for around 4 years, got all the matters settled with both the families an year prior to the official engagement, had the engagament done just 7 days before the wedding. My mom was persistent that there shouldnt be much gap between the engagement and wedding, I dono why! I was only happy to accept whatever came my way. As it always happens, time has just flied by.. looks like it was just yesterday I got married but its an year already. I cant believe, I and S were living together as married couple for the past 12 months!!

Let me go to flashback mode now  - to the same day last year. We had a whole bunch of relatives at home. Mom was struggling to prepare food for all of us with no help from any of them. Sis and I were the first to finish the lunch.. We both were so excited, we dint even remember what we ate. We were rushing in to have a trial make up done before the actual one for the function in the evening. I am lucky enough to have an younger sister. Before I could open my mouth for something, she will be ready with what I want. We both locked ourselves in the bedroom. What followed was not the trial session but the original cos we spent so much deciding what to do and how to. I was finally ready by 4 o clk. Only then I realised, I cant use the toilet until the function gets over... :( Our transport was to come any minute. Thats when, everything was sinking into me. I was getting engaged. After some tense moments, we reached the mandapam. Funnily, the groom's family was already present and there were some 30 people staring at me.. I saw a few friends of S first. My eyes were searching for him.. No where to be found. In an isntant, I saw him. Both of our eys met for a minute. I started feeling shy all of a sudden :) The next minute, there was something going on on the stage and I was forced with a plate having the silk saree with loads of flowers. I was wishing my sister only to be present with me.. But what awaited me was a shock. I was accompanied by my SIL along with S's aunties. They were scrutinizing me top to bottom. If this is not enough, there was a bigger shock. The room given for me to change had no lock and 2 big windows with no panes :( They all quickly made curtains from my saree and asked me to change... all of them looking at me... I was so helpless.. I looked at my sister first and then my SIL. Atleast they both understand. But they couldnt chip in too... They were shooed off saying.. "Chinna Ponnunge". Still they quickly helped me to remove my jewellery and saved my hair from being pulled off in multiple directions in the name of helping me wear the saree. Not to mention the 100s of bangs on the door asking me to come out fast. My head was literally pulled behind with the innumerable strands of flowers. Those aunties were disappointed when I mentioned that I wont have those orange flowers too... But they tried to pin them down as I was running towards the stage. S was all seated with a ring in his hand... With in a minute, before I could realise what was happening, the ring was on my finger. They made me repeat it for him. Numerous photos being taken, some claps. We were made to sit on the stage with huge garlands (atleast for me). They did what is called as nalangu. It would have started at 6.30 at the maximum. Even at 8.30, there was no trace of someone calling us down for dinner. I was literally fasting.. From nowhere my cuty sis got me a badam kheer. I still owe her back for that... :) At some point, all the guest were busy with dinner, we were left all alone on the stage... Someone had to perform some customs before we could dine. So, we were waiting. We were having some random conversations (of which I did the talking :P ) when we were surprised with a big cake.. We had not planned for one actually. Soon after, we had our dinner. I gave him the first bite of gulab jamoon and S gave me back a chapathi piece :( not fair enough! We were done for the day. My MIL was one happy person. So were my parents - including some close relatives. Once I reached home, I spoke to S. I cant forget the night, I couldnt take a bit of sleep. It was all happiness that was filled within.


Coming back to the present - This morning was the busiest in the recent times. I dint even have a minute to speak a word with S. It was a total rush. Lunch Breakfast cooking, burning my hand at two places, S washing the dabbas (forgot to do yesterday),me packing the lunch, preparing Paal Pongal for Sun God, bathing & getting ready. By the time I could breathe in, S was all set to leave to office. Thats when I called him for a hug and wished him Happy Engagement day  (if something of that sorts exists...). Thats how life has changed now.... .....

2 comments:

  1. Awww...A very Happy Engagement anniversary :D
    I too got engaged and married in February...so same pinch on that :)
    Hope you both have a wonderful time together...stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :):)
      wow.. same pinch & give me munch?! :P

      Delete